For some reason, the code4lib listservs reject my [log in to unmask] mail
(undoubtedly having to do with the domain name -- any ideas welcome) so I'll
try to keep track of the list from this account.

Meanwhile...

We talked about something like this at the Open Library meeting last Friday
in a group that including Rob Styles, who has thought long and hard about
identifiers.  I think of this as a (or one or more) translate service
between IDs, aka xISBN on steroids. It's a realization that we will never
have a unique ID that everyone agrees on, that most bibliographic items are
really more than one thing, but that since we have data about the
bibliographic item we have many opportunities to make connections even
though people have used different identifiers. So we could use an
"ID-switcher" to move among data stores and services. Is that the kind of
thing folks are thinking of?

kc

--
[log in to unmask] http://www.kcoyle.net