On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 10:31 AM, Emily Lynema <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

<snip/>

available. I have to admit it seems odd to me to include so much
> attribute information in a single <isbn> element, but I suppose that
> would be helpful in identifying what specific manifestation is being
> referred to in the URL?

We made that design choice to be largely compatible with OCLC Research's
version of xISBN service, and this kind of "flat" structure also help us to
easily disseminate other formats, such as csv or json serialization:

http://xisbn.worldcat.org/webservices/xid/isbn/0689868847?library=oca&fl=*&format=csv
http://xisbn.worldcat.org/webservices/xid/isbn/0689868847?library=oca&fl=*&format=python

> In this scenario, is there a way to indicate free vs. licensed somewhere
> in the <isbn> entry? I'm assuming that the Netlibrary audio book is
> *not* free. We have very few mechanisms to do that within MARC records;
> it would be great to think about that here as most libraries will be
> interested in *free* links to digitized content available from anywhere
> (google book search, oca, etc.).

We support a "library=freeebook" flag to limit search scope to free ebook:

http://xisbn.worldcat.org/webservices/xid/isbn/0689868847?library=freeebook&fl=*

Current the free ebook collection is rather small (a few thousands of
titles), hopefully we can grow the collection soon to make it more useful.
You can find more statistical information from
http://xisbn.worldcat.org/xisbnadmin/doc/stat.htm

> Also, have you considered the response for multiple digitized sources
> for the same ISBN?

If an ISBN has multiple digitized sources, they are put in "url" attribute
separated by space, e.g.

http://xisbn.worldcat.org/webservices/xid/isbn/0596002815?library=ebook&fl=title,url

Xiaoming