I believe that apache ProxyPass _will_ send an X-forwarded-for header
for you. But you're right that the "forwarded for" IP address will in
your case be an internal-only IP that doesn't mean anything to google,
if it's there at all. But who knows what Google's 'traffic defender'
routines do, maybe they would realize in the presence of that
x-forwarded-for not to limit you, even though the forwarded-for IP is
meaningless.

Who knows, and google probably won't say (because they don't want to
give any extra info to people maliciously trying to get around it).

Do please keep us updated on if this new solution works and prevents the
traffic-limiting defense that you were getting before. If it does, then
the question would be why, but x-forwarded-for (which I _think_
ProxyPass will send) may indeed be the answer.

Jonathan