Hi Mike,

I think that you can do your search interface entirely and easily with
a javascript library called jquery.  Someone has already built tab
functionality with another library based on jquery called UI tabs.  I
have used it on one of my projects.  The nice thing is that you can do
it without other page loads.  It functions basically as hiding and
showing divs..

Ethan Gruber