I think this is yet another example of the group maturing to the point of
needing a tad more structure. One way we can provide this is to elect a
board that manages administrative stuff like this. But to do that we'd
probably need some bylaws, even if not formally part of a 501c3 process. The
bylaws would spell out board composition (number of members, who qualifies
to serve), how they are added to the body (e.g., by popular vote by a
defined community), their responsibilities, how long they serve, etc.

Perhaps others will think this is too much overhead for the group, but then
I wonder why for the last two years at conference we have voted in
presentations on the future of this group. I think there is a growing sense
that we've outgrown the "hey, let's just get together and do this" days.
Roy