On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 11:13 AM, Jonathan Rochkind <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>  Pre-OSU hosting, code4lib
>  was hosted by a defined group of code4libbers who chipped in for hosting
>  fees, and were the only ones who had shell access. If you wanted shell
>  access, as I understand it, you'd have to talk to them about becoming a
>  member of their 'cooperative', and they'd decide whether that would
>  happen or not.

Well, there wasn't much of a decision.  If folks wanted in they were
welcome... we weren't turning anyone away or anything.  :-)

Also, just to quibble with the above, the previous machine had more
than code4libbers on it (some who aren't involved in or that
interested in code4lib); it was just a working environment that
volunteered to host the domain for awhile.  It was (and still is) just
a dev machine... a play space.

>  Now, with OSU hosting... what should happen? It probably
>  doesn't make sense that any Joe Schmoe that nobody's heard of can just
>  email Ryan and automatically get shell access. So ruling that out....
>  any ideas?    Maybe if you want shell access to manage a particular
>  application, you email the code4lib listserv, and....   then what?  Not
>  sure.

I think one of the reasons of going to OSU was to make the machine a
production oriented machine.  In my opinion, it should be locked down
and not be as open as the anvil machine was/is.  I think there should
be two or three experienced folks who volunteer to do the sysadmining
(this aligns with the talk of structuring code4libcon).  If there is a
project that someone wants to start in the code4lib domain that
benefits the code4lib community, then they should discuss it on the
mailing list and build up some community support.  If that happens
(e.g., they get enough volunteers and build an organization structure
for the project), they should get access to a shell account to bring
it into production (only after it has been developed and the bugs
worked out on another machine).

For all the other non-production stuff (experiments with new services,
etc.), people should use their own machines or form cooperatives
(formal or informal) to share the costs.  I'm sure Ed could set it up
so that whatever subdomain they want gets resolved to their machine
(e.g., freakflag.code4lib.org).  This could be used for testing or
even for just perpetual projects that are never meant to go
production.  I see he just sent an email saying that he could :-)

My 2c anyway....

Kevin

--
There are two kinds of people in the world: those who believe there
are two kinds of people and those who know better.