Yeah, I've been talking to Ryan and Jeremy on this too, but perhaps they
can chime in.  What we're talking about should be within the realm of
possibility on the OSU hosted server, I think. They've got it fairly
isolated from the rest of the OSU stuff, I think.

Ryan Ordway, as part of his job at OSU,  is already the the basic
fundamental OS-level sysadmin for the box. But he doesn't necessarily
have the time to be app-level admin for the apps we run, at least not
putting in as much time as we might want for really good services.  It's
enough that OSU is donating the server, bandwidth, and basic OS-level
sysadmining, I think!

So what I'm still leaning toward is having 2-3 people as the main group
of admins for the box (under the authority of Ryan and OSU, doing
app-level admin).  They might or might not have sudo wheel access, if
needed, it can be negotiated with Ryan. (Ryan said this was possible, if
there was a good reason for it, I think).  Taking into account Joe's
warning that 2-3 doesn't work you need JUST ONE--I still think 2-3 can
work, but maybe one of those 2-3 is the "head" or something. But then
there'd be other volunteers under _their_ authority----you want to admin
the planet, you talk to those 2-3 people and express your interest, if
they are convinced you know what you're doing enough to not mess stuff
up, they give you access (or ask Ryan to give you access; but they're
the gatekeepers).  These extra volunteers would never have sudo wheel
access, I'd think.

So that sounds good to me as a way to go. But it requires that 2-3 (or
even 1) person volunteering to be that, um, what I'm calling 'junta'.
Anyone interested?   One of the reasons I think 2-3 is better than 1, is
I think it's going to be even harder to get someone to volunteer to do
it by themselves.

Jonathan

--
Jonathan Rochkind