Agreed wholeheartedly with that.

Someone suggested the people behind this new effort should be convinced
to come on board with Dan's oss4lib.

Alternately, Dan could abandon the (as far as I can tell) not
particularly maintained oss4lib, and himself join the new effort.

Things, whether software or communities or organizations, 'fork' when
the original is not meeting someone's needs. shrug. I don't see it as a
discouraging thing that there is new energy behind a project to have
more "user" (rather than programmer) level collaboration on open source
software in libraries.  They probably didn't even know about oss4lib.
It's not exactly a thriving project. Rather than say "Oh, that's a good
idea, but only if you do it using the software that Dan has already set
up, whether or not you think that will meet your needs", I'd rather "we"
(Anyone working on oss4lib right now--and if there is no such people
this whole thing is moot, isn't it?) say "Great, welcome aboard, let's
figure out how you work together, feel free to use our tools if you
think they'll be helpful, as we progress let's think about whether to
merge our projects."

Jonathan

--
Jonathan Rochkind