sure wish I could read the article without registering and purchasing it :-|

http://www.gartner.com/DisplayDocument?id=633035&ref=g_sitelink

But that fact leads me to the thought that perhaps Gartner isn't as
revolutionary as one might think.

Cultural matches need to happen no matter the software. But the
difference with FLOSS is that it's libraries who are (or could be) doing
the cultural matching. Much the same as ILL works (after many years of
dev and lots of continuing staff time and energy), FLOSS development
could work. That idea will take time to ingrain in upper management for
sure, but I *do* see movement in that direction. Witness Joe Lucia's
post on NGC4lib in November, 2007:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.culture.libraries.ngc4lib/3424

James

--
James R. Jacobs
International Documents Librarian

"A library is an arsenal of liberty." Anonymous

   (\
  {|||8-
   (/