On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 11:35 AM, Jonathan Rochkind <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>  Everyone seemed to agree that one or two or three
>  code4libbers were neccesary to accept responsibility as "app admin
>  coordinator" on the machine, but nobody actually volunteered to do that,
>  so we're a bit stuck.  If we had a process/structure in place, and there
>  was an app you wanted installed on code4lib.org to do this, there might
>  be a way to do that---depending on what process/structure we come up
>  with. But without one...

Are we at the point where OSU is ready to start giving out accounts?
If so, do we need volunteers for sys admins (in addition to Ryan
Ordway)?  If we can't get one or two volunteers then maybe this
site/machine isn't that important after all.  I knew a sys admin once
who used to say, "You have to let things break every once and awhile
so people know how important you are."

I think sys admins are the first thing to get set up.  After those
people are in place, then I think it's just a matter of someone
saying, "I want to maintain this application" and one of the sys
admins can get them started.  I'd be glad to step up to be an app
admin to co-manage the Planet at that point.  I mean... I guess there
could be some formal process and the community could vote whether an
application goes onto the machine.

I still think if you want a production machine, though, you shouldn't
be doing development on there.  If you want to do something with
DokuWiki put it some other place first and get it like you want it
there.  Otherwise, I think we're just recreating anvil with all the
inherent problems that an open/development environment will entail.
Of course, making that decision can fall to the sys admins if the
community doesn't have a preference (they'll be the ones who get to
pick up the pieces anyway).

My 2 cents...

Kevin

--
There are two kinds of people in the world: those who believe there
are two kinds of people and those who know better.