Yes. OSU has said that they have the infrastructure in place to give out
accounts. The question is just how they should determine on an ongoing
basis WHO to give an account to. I  don't think we want to make Ryan
have to figure out if a random person that emails him has the backing of
the code4lib community to be trusted with a shell account.

Didn't we just have this conversation last week?  See the thread I
started "Access to code4lib server--how to work it" from Mar 21 and on
in the listserv archive of your choice. "They're now ready to start
granting other people shell access to the
machine to manage/admin apps... So the question for the community
is--how the heck should Jeremy and
Ryan determine _who_ to give shell access to?"

The general consensus (or maybe it was just my own conclusion) was that
there should be a two to three person team to begin with, that we
collectively authorize. (Not just one for sustainability if that one
leaves). Then that team can authorize other shell accounts, as per
however they decide to do it.  That team _might_, if there was a good
reason, get sudo wheel (Ryan Ordway confirms this is theoretically
possible if needed). Nobody else ever would get sudo wheel.

But nobody seemed to want to step up to be that 2 or 3 person team. So,
we're back to square one I guess?

Jonathan

--
Jonathan Rochkind