I think that's asking a bit too much of OSU. Especially when we can't
even get anyone to step up and say they'll be responsible for app-level
admin on this machine!  (OSU is responsble for what I think of as "OS
level admin".  Installing the OS, networking, OS-level security patches,
backups (not sure if we actually have em, but if we did it would be
OSU's responsibility :) ), etc.)

But I'm sure any number of code4libbers could provide server space for
simple test/dev, with limited bandwidth or CPU needed and no expectation
of consistent uptime.  That's not the hard part, the hard part is what
OSU is doing.

Personally, I think that it's not neccesary to be as strict with it as
Kevin did. I think the reason that the anvil code4lib turned out to be
insufficient had less to do with people running non-production code on
it, and more to do with a lack of committed sysadmin resources.  Now OSU
has volunteered those committed sysadmin resources, and I don't think
it's neccesary to take the kind of strict "production box" procedures
that a fully-staffed commercial IT organization would take. We're still
all volunteers here. But that's a question that could be decided (with
lots of 'advice' from the code4lib community I'm sure :) )by anyone who
took responsibility for overall app-level admin on the machine, if there
were such persons!  If not, then?

Jonathan

--
Jonathan Rochkind