On Mar 31, 2008, at 10:45 AM, Tim Shearer wrote:

> Given the likely need to map back from an alternate name (string
> search in
> the definition?) to the auth name (maybe the most common use for
> such a
> service?), I think this route might be on the inefficient side.

I'm not quite sure how this will turn out either, but for a good time
I extracted bunches more authorities (subject, personal, corporate,
and geographic) from the FRED data, stuffed them into my DICT server,
and installed a CGI front-end. Try the following URLs, and they will
return huge "tag clouds" whose links could point to definitions or
searches against indexes:

   * blues - http://tinyurl.com/yt2db7
   * lancaster - http://tinyurl.com/yw5hdr
   * librarianship - http://tinyurl.com/2baoxg

In the end, I will probably use some other indexer to do this work,
but this suite of DICT tools has a pretty low barrier to implementation.

--
Eric Lease Morgan