From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of
Godmar Back
Sent: Monday, March 17, 2008 9:09 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] Free covers from Google

FWIW, realize that this is client-side mashup. Google will see
individual requests from individual IP addresses from everybody
viewing your page. For each IP address from which it sees requests
it'll decide whether to block or not. It'll block if it thinks you're
harvesting their data.

Wageningen University owns the 137.224/16 network, so I find it
doubtful that you're all sharing the same IP address. It's probably
just your desktop IP address (or, if you're behind a NAT device, the
address used by that device - but that's probably only a small group
of computers.)

That makes it even more concerning that Google's defenses could be
triggered by your development and testing activities. Do complain
about it to them. (I doubt they change their logic, but you can try.)

I've received the CAPTCHA from Google in the past a few times if I use
it as a calculator. Enter more than a dozen or so expressions, and it
thinks I'm a computer who needs help from Google to compute simple
things such as english-to-metric conversions.

I think that's a huge drawback, actually. How does Amazon's image
service work? Does it suffer from the same issue?

 - Godmar

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 4:50 AM, Boheemen, Peter van
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> As i wrote earlier, I have implemented a link using the Google API in
>  our library catalog.
>  It worked ..... for a while :)
>
>  What we notice now is, that Google responds with an error message. It
>  thinks that it has detected spyware or some virus.
>  i see the same effect now when I click on the examples Godmar and Tim
>  created.
>  When I go to Google books directly with my browser now, I get the
same
>  message and get the request to enter a non machine readable
>  string and then I can go on. My API calls however, still fail.
>  This has probably got to do with the fact that anybody who is
accessing
>  Google from the university campus exposes the same IP adress to
Google.

--
BEGIN-ANTISPAM-VOTING-LINKS

Spam: