From: Code for Libraries on behalf of Jay Roos
Sent: Thu 3/20/2008 12:41 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [CODE4LIB] Google Covers vs. Amazon Covers

I've now been able to implement covers from Google and Amazon in our test
catalog. Google has many fewer images, they sometimes don't make any sense
(getting an author photo instead of the cover), and getting them is slow, at
least through the javascript methods posted here recently. However, Amazon's
terms seem unfriendly to libraries since "Your use of the Amazon Properties
must be strictly limited to promoting the availability of products and
services on the Amazon Website...."

I'd really like to go with Amazon. Is there anyone who has implemented
Amazon covers in production and who has been using them without issue? How
do you justify your use when you're really just trying to enhance the
library experience?

--
Jay Roos
Computer & Information Systems Coordinator