>  >  We should all be mindful that some vendors get really touchy when you
>  >  share their proprietary methods on open lists....
>
>  I'm quite sure the 1 million monkeys method is not a proprietary method.

It was originally, but the patent expired. The method would be be used
more often, but regulations governing treatment of monkeys made this
option impractical for most situations.

When the courts ruled that graduate students are entitled to the same
protections as monkeys, the random code generator emerged to fill the
gap. It is obvious that this method is used extensively in the
industry, yet the OSS community systematically ignores this technique.

Clearly, it is a patent protected proprietary method available only to
those who license the technology.

kyle