Okay, so new plan for access to code4lib server, since nobody stepped up
to want to be an app admin junta. :)  Subject to approval by Ryan and
Jeff, of course.  Recall that Ryan and Jeff at OSU say they are ready to
grant shell access to code4libbers, but weren't sure how to figure out
_who_ to grant access too--granting access to any random person that
emails Ryan/Jeff seems like a bad idea of course!  So they were open to
suggestion from us.

The idea last time was that there should be one or two or three people
that take overall responsibility for app-level admin on that machine,
who could then grant access to others. (Recall that Ryan is still
overall root sysadmin responsible for OS stuff, just not for our apps).
Which was a fine plan, but nobody said they wanted to do it. :)

So new plan. If someone has a need for shell access (because they want
to be responsible for management of one of our apps; Like the WordPress
for the Journal; or the Drupal; or the wiki; or the planet;  including
possibly new apps that the code4lib community wants)---they email this
code4lib list explaining what they are going to do, and that they are
qualified to do it without messing it up. :)  We, in our usual way, nit
pick it to death and debate it. But eventually a rough consensus is
reached. And Ryan grants the shell access.  If someone thinks it's a
horrible idea to give that person shell access, then I guess it doesn't
go forward. I don't see the need for any actual 'voting', I think mostly
it'll just work out. (For instance, Ryan already pre-emptively gave me
shell access to add new feeds to the planet. If I had emailed the list
and said that, which I'm doing now, everyone would have just ignored it
and/or said, cool.)

So?

Jonathan

--