Emily,

Actually, thanks for cross-pollinating this to all three lists, since
I think it directly affects all three groups.

I think one of the questions that would help guide this discussion is
knowing a little more about the future of the DLF API and the role
that the task force will have in it.  You mention that the group
doesn't feel comfortable with trying to implement, but obviously they
have a stake in making sure it doesn't just fall by the wayside,
forgotten.  What, exactly, does "success" mean to the task force and
what are the plans of achieving that?  Would the ideal be to release a
more formal recommendation and hope something adopts that and
continues development?  Or would it continue to evolve independently
of other initiatives and what kind of group *should* be shepherding
that?

As far as where the development lives, I can make arguments for both
wiki.code4lib.org and jangle.org; both have advantages and
disadvantages.

I couldn't imagine people objecting to this being hosted on
wiki.code4lib.org, it's certainly not out of scope to what people are
working on there.  That being said, wiki.code4lib.org will probably
always be a hodge-podge of content from a variety of different
initiatives; most of which would have nothing to do with the DLF API.
That might be a little disconcerting to uninitiated.  It's a good
project-neutral location, however.

On the flip side, Jangle is using the DLF API as the use case to guide
the initial development.  At first blush it would seem as though it
makes sense combine the two (there will certainly be need for
communication and coordination); however, Jangle and the DLF API are
not a 1:1 match.  Jangle (at least in the current vision) wouldn't
directly supply the DLF API and it would need to be made clear that
the DLF API could be implemented *without implementing Jangle* (which,
again, might be confusing to the uninitiated).  Since both of these
projects are really working for the same eventual outcome ("help me
free my data"), there is something to be said for them being under the
same umbrella.

Regarding your other question, the hosting of this code, I think,
again, either place could work.  What we're really talking about a
registry (code for SD Unicorn, EL Aleph, Koha, etc.) with either file
attachments or contact information on how to download it (if, for
instance, it's protected by an NDA).

-Ross.