Hi, I know there are some other Rails developers on this list. Anyone
have advise for me on how to do performance profiling in Rails?  In
particular, I'm looking to speed up the response time of my actions. To
do this, I need to figure out what parts of it are taking up the time. I
suspect database access, but I'm not sure how to figure out where. This
is a complex action, with a complex before_filter, and view rendering
which itself might be taking up significant time in helper methods which
access the db too!

I'm not really sure how to start.  The fact that I really need to
include examination of things that happen during view rendering (helper
methods, but possibly also db access that might unwise be in the view
code itself) makes me especially confused. Most of the stuff I find on
the web on this topic is about determining which actions take up most of
your apps time, or determining how many concurrent users your app can
handle. Neither of those is what I need to do! I need to get into the
guts of an already identified action, and figure out how to speed it up.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Jonathan

--
Jonathan Rochkind