Although there are many factors that determine the success or failure
of an open source project, experience has shown that open source
projects are highly successful only if at least one of the following
two applies:

a) They use a "implement first, then share, then standardize" approach
(think: early Linux, most GNU)

b) They have strong corporate backing or backing by heavily funded
foundations (e.g. nowadays Linux, Eclipse, Mozilla, Apache, JBoss
etc.)

I'm unaware of any open source project that was started as an
outgrowth of an "on-paper" standardization effort (I'm open to
counterexamples). The ILS-DI effort appears to be just that, however,
whereas jangle has the chance to fit category a).

 - Godmar