On Wed, 2008-04-30 at 10:50 -0700, Cloutman, David wrote:
> I haven't had an opportunity to finish it, but the solution I am
> developing uses an open source AJAX widget called PHPFreeChat. The
> current release is 1.1, and it will run off the standard LAMP stack,
> without the need for additional server software. I use cron jobs to
> clear the chat logs daily. I think this may be a viable, in house
> solution. It would specifically solve the security issue raised in the
> initial message.

This is a nice solution, was looking fora PHP app like that last Summer
too - however if you want more of a full fledged IM service, look no
further than Openfire
http://www.igniterealtime.org/projects/openfire/index.jsp

It's also XMPP based, so you can use it with Jabber or have it be a
gateway to the other popular protocols.  They have a client (Spark) or
you can use anything that can speak XMPP/Jabber like Pidgin and others.
I've used it personally and in a corp environment, and it's a great
piece of software.  Built in encryption, lots of useful plugins.

Phil
--
Phil Cryer
Open Source Development