I briefly looked into Meebo for our site and decided against it. I
didn't like the idea of our chat sessions being bounced to and possibly
logged on a third party server. At least in our context as a public
library, reference interviews should be treated as confidential by
default, and chat records should be destroyed as regularly as
practicable. I don't feel comfortable trusting a black box service with
our patron's privacy. I know a lot of libraries use this service, but I
don't agree with the practice.

I haven't had an opportunity to finish it, but the solution I am
developing uses an open source AJAX widget called PHPFreeChat. The
current release is 1.1, and it will run off the standard LAMP stack,
without the need for additional server software. I use cron jobs to
clear the chat logs daily. I think this may be a viable, in house
solution. It would specifically solve the security issue raised in the
initial message.

http://www.phpfreechat.net/

- David

---