Interesting viewpoint.

>>> Andrew Shuping <[log in to unmask]> 04/30/08 10:26 AM >>>
Why make them login?  I can only speak for my library (Mercer), but we don't
really have a number of outsiders attempting to use the service or abuse
it.  I'd think patrons would be frustrated to have to login to use a tool
like IM.  If they are going to IM they won't quick, fast help and this to me
defeats the purpose.

And looking them up in the logs, seems scary to me.  One of the benefits of
Meebo is that they don't have to have the software and they can be
anonymous.  If someone doesn't give their name maybe they have a reason for
it...

I think its great that you're implementing Meebo, but I think (my thoughts
not my schools) are that this just seems complicated.  My thought is if
someone finds there way to the library's page and needs help why not help
them?  Sure if they aren't associated with your University they can't use
databases that you have, but you can still provide them some help.

--
Andrew Shuping

Robert Frost - "In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about
life: it goes on."