readwriteweb reports on the use of reuter's opencalais tagging
API to improve discoverability for a well known museum's content.
calais derives from the xml discovery / datamining firm clear-
forest, which reuters acquired.

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/australian_museum_uses_open_calais.php
http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/reuters_calais.php

"The Powerhouse Museum of Science and Design in Sydney, Australia
has begun to utilize the Reuters Open Calais API (our coverage) to
tag their collection. The museum's online collection database
houses some 66,303 objects, so tagging them all by hand would be
quite a task. By using the Open Calais web service, the museum is
able to automate much of the process.

"That the museum has so much of its collection online is actually
quite impressive in its own right. About 70% of the museum's
electronically documented collection is online in the database
which went live in June 2006. Museum objects are searchable,
taggable (by humans) and painstakingly described.

"However, there are so many objects, that even though users can help
to tag them, many of them haven't yet been tagged. Sebastian Chan,
who is the Manager of Web Services at the museum, told us that Open
Calais is being used to compliment the people-powered tagging
they've had running for two years. "What Open Calais lets us do now
is connect people, places and companies across our collection and
has already revealed many new pathways through our dataset
(navigating by designer or inventor is now much easier for example),"
he said."