I've just implemented this in the test catalogue at Deakin - taking
the instructions from Annette Bailey's ppt demo - and was surprised
at the number of hits.  And every time I clicked on the Google link I
was taken to a partial preview of the book.

Is there something in the code that prevents the link from being
offered unless it goes to at least a partial preview (which I take to
mean scanned pages), or have I just been lucky in my searching?  I
can't comment on whether or not the 'no preview'  is useful because
every book I see has some scanned content.

If 'no preview' means no scanned text but info. such as summaries and
reviews, then I agree that this information is really useful,
particularly for distance education students - about 40% of our total
student population - as it is often enough to determine if the book
is worth requesting.  There is a benefit for libraries too because
they're not wasting time sending out books that are irrelevant to the user.

Michelle

At 11:08 AM 7/05/2008, you wrote:
>On Tue, 6 May 2008 20:24:47 -0400
>  Tim Spalding <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>0.2% full text? Yowch!
>>
>>Do academic libraries with full-text versions of the book on their
>>shelves really want to point people to no-preview pages on Google.
>>That's like a dating site with no photos of the members, and the
>>profiles omit everything but their favorite potato variety.
>
>I think that depends how you view information services to your patrons.  If
>you think full text is the end-all-be-all, then I say double-yowch.  But if
>you think there's more to information than full-text, then perhaps you might
>think that patrons will benefit from the other information one can get via
>GBS.  I've seen books that didn't have a preview or full text, but GBS offered
>links to reviews, author interviews, ToCs, summaries, etc.
>
>Bob Duncan
>
>~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~
>Robert E. Duncan
>Systems Librarian
>David Bishop Skillman Library
>Lafayette College
>Easton, PA  18042
>http://www.library.lafayette.edu/

Michelle Watson, Web Cataloguing Librarian, Library
+ Deakin University Geelong Victoria 3217 Australia.
( Phone: 03 5227 8220 International: +61 3 5227 8220
( Fax: 03 5227 8000 International: +61 3 5227 8000
: E-mail: [log in to unmask]
: Website: http://www.deakin.edu.au
Deakin University CRICOS Provider Code: 00113B (Vic), 02414F (NSW)

Important Notice: The contents of this email transmission, including
any attachments, are intended solely for the named addressee and are
confidential; any unauthorised use, reproduction or storage of the
contents and any attachments is expressly prohibited. If you have
received this transmission in error, please delete it and any
attachments from your system immediately and advise the sender by
return email or telephone.
Deakin University does not warrant that this email and any
attachments are error or virus free.