So are you opposed to the long-standing practice of adding table of
contents to catalog records on the same grounds?

Table of contents is one thing that Google metadata can provide.

Certainly if Google's metadata were bad enough, it should not be
included. I'm confused as to why you're arguing that "scan-less" GBS
information is automatically bad.  Obviously, in the case of a scan-less
GBS record, it's the _other_ metadata contained there that is of
interest. Even if GBS somehow had NO scanned text, that other metadata
might still be of interest and of quality.  You seem to keep ignoring
the fact that the GBS api response _tells you_ if full text is available
or not--your client software is not reduced to presenting "scan-less"
GBS links _as if_ they were full text. That would indeed be a problem.

I am still very confused as to where your opposition comes from.  I
don't think most people maintaining library systems share an opposition
to providing users with tables of contents, publisher information, and
other information GBS metadata can provide.

As an entirely separate issue, some GBS records do not allow full
viewing, but DO allow "search inside the book" (with excerpts in your
hits), which is another useful service. And yes, the GBS api tells you
specifically if that's the access level. Not sure if Tim's opposition
extends to these too. Search inside the book seems like an obviously
useful value-added service to me.

Jonathan

--
Jonathan Rochkind