In general, I think we all agree that standards should be used where
possible---a proliferation of APIs that our client software needs to
talk to leads to much harder to maintain client software than re-using
APIs.

However, if the standards are truly too hard to work with, sometimes the
'correct' decision is indeed to design a new one. However, I guess some
of our concern is that from observation, it kind of looks like the
OpenLibrary team didn't even consider SRU, it wasn't considered and
dismissed based on technical evaluation, but rather ignored from the
start. This is rather distressing, especially for a project with as
ambitious goals as OpenLibrary. For the project to be successful (which
most of us observers want very much), it's very important to understand
the existing technology landscape and how to fit into it.  Now, to be
sure, it may be that the existing _library_ technology landscape is not
particularly of interest to OpenLibrary, that they are more interested
in connecting with the larger technology world and see library
technology infrastructure as a tiny and irrelevant backwater. :)
That's up to them to decide this sort of strategy, and may be valid, and
would justify simply ignoring technology which is _mainly_ (but not
exclusively) adopted by the library world---but would of course be
distressing to us in the library technology world hoping we can connect
to the OpenLibrary project.

It's also nice to say "it's open source, if you want it you can add it."
And it DOES matter that it's open source, and this is HUGELY good. But
most of us are already working on multiple open source projects, many of
which _we_ are trying to recruit people too also.  It's a small pond of
library developers, and a big need for open source library software. If
OpenLibrary becomes as succesful as we all hope, then it will attract
open source contributions, from library developers and others. If the
OpenLibrary team wants to _get_ it to that succesful point, than in my
view it would be wise to spend OpenLibrary resources on components that
will make it easy for library and other developers to interface with it.
I'm sure they agree--which is why it has an API at all, rather than just
leaving it API-less and saying "hey, it's open source, if you want one
add one!".  That would obviously be counter-productive to the goals.

Again, I don't know enough about SRU to to know if it's suitable. I've
certainly encountered other library 'standards' that are over-engineered
and hard-to-adopt enough to justify abandoning them and creating
something new. All I'd hope is that the OpenLibrary team actually _knew
about_ SRU and gave it a serious evaluation---it is adopted enough to
justify that. It's also worth saying that when you DO abandon an
existing standard to write something new---it's a lot more productive to
building a sustainable tech infrastructure if you try to make your
'something new' at least a potential de facto standard, rather than a
custom thing only for your product.

Jonathan

--
Jonathan Rochkind