The downside to this theory is that if III had accessible APIs, even
libraries without developers would start seeing third-party
plug-and-play tools that would work with III.  Whether open source or
another vendor selling add on tools to work with III, the universe of
options available to an III customer--even one with little or no local
technical staff resources--would be expanded.  That's the market we're
moving into, and in some cases already in.

And in fact, I think this is exactly what III does not want to see
happen---your ability to buy a product to work with an III system from
someone other than III (or a company III itself has a partnership with,
perhaps with fees paid to III---I've heard that III _will_ share their
_already existing_ APIs with partner vendors; just not with III
customers), or to use an open source product with III instead of buying
it from III, or to buy a support contract for that open source product
from someone other than III.

Jonathan

--
Jonathan Rochkind