Hahn, Harvey wrote:

> them (see my OML site).  However, with increased experience and
> experimentation, I've found that one can figure out many workarounds
> that can accomplish things *without* being able to read certain portions
> of a screen, and I've incorporated these kinds of things into my
> scripting here.

I tried writing a script to tag records by plugging in a value to a
certain field in the cataloging client, but a selection dialog box would
often randomly pop up.  I was never able to figure out why, as the
combination of keystrokes had no relation whatsoever to the field of the
random pop-up.  It seemed like this happened more often on my
underpowered spare box (~256MB RAM) than my audio editing main box (2.8
GHz, 2GB RAM)

I gave up, and exported the data to analyze outside of the system.  When
forced to edit records in-system via script, I use Expect with perfect
results.  I only discovered Expect in the last year, but it's been so
useful that any Innovative move to disable INNOPAC cataloging functions
would be a big shove in the direction of our switching to open-source.

What do they gain by dropping the character-based, anyway?  Do they
actually have to commit any resources to it still?

--
Yitzchak Schaffer
Systems Librarian