On May 22, 2008, at 10:00 PM, Dyer, Renata wrote:

> I am keen on finding out whether there are libraries out there that
> have
> developed a good way to manage email alerts your library is subscribed
> to. ...

I'm not sure this is exactly what you're talking about, but in case it
is...

One approach we're very actively investigating is inserting, into
email alerts we receive, a customized link that, when clicked by the
user, would take them to a server-page under our control that would do
good things.

Example...

We have a nicely automated system allowing users to find an item they
want through WorldCat, request it, and then have that request
automatically submitted to a series of consortial borrowing systems.
Let's say the BorrowDirect consortial system reports it has the item.
Fine; the item is automatically requested, and our easyBorrow system
emails the user that the item is on its way.

But then let's say that the item turns out to be missing (I've heard
this happens in some library systems with surprising frequency). At
that point BorrowDirect emails the user that the request has been
cancelled, and the user is very, very confused. We wish we could have
those emails sent to an address that we could automatically process --
but this and a couple of other systems we partner with don't allow
that.[1]

We do, though, have some control over the content of that email. So
we're trying to get a dynamic link inserted into that email that
contains our easyBorrow request number. The idea is that the user
would be presented with a message akin to: "Turns out the book wasn't
available at the initial source; click here and we'll get it for you
from another source." That link would go to a server-page we control
which would resubmit the request, specifying, in this example, not to
re-query BorrowDirect.
---

[1] If we could specify the email address, we'd likely set up an
address like [log in to unmask], and automate a unix-
process to scrape the relevant information from the email, and
automatically process it so the user wouldn't receive the confusing
message.

---
Birkin James Diana
Programmer, Integrated Technology Services
Brown University Library