I'm the only non-techie on the team, so I don't know that much about
SRU.  (Our head programmer lives in India, and is presumably asleep at
the moment, otherwise I'd ask him!)  Is it an interface that is used
primarily by libraries?  We are definitely hoping that our API will be
used by all kinds, so perhaps that's the reasoning.

But this is an Open Source project, so if anyone would like to volunteer
to build an SRU interface... you can!  Please do! :-)

Alexis