It is very clear to me, from trying to integrate into our III systems,
is that their ILS is desperately in need of being reworked into more of
an SOA model. The best that they can currently do for library developers
is sell us an RSS product, which I think probably falls short of what we
actually need. What we need is a well documented, functional,
standards-based web service that could be used to hook into other
applications. It seems to me that the best that many of us can do with
the III product in terms of automated integration is to grab data
through some sort of screen scraping.

The fact that a product like Encore works at all, to me indicates that
there must be some sort of programmatic hooks in the catalog that we as
customers could leverage for our own purposes, but I have not been able
to find any documentation of these.

Of course, empowering developers, or their customers in general, is not
in the III business model, so I don't think we can expect much from
them.

---
David Cloutman <[log in to unmask]>
Electronic Services Librarian