On Tue, 6 May 2008 20:24:47 -0400
  Tim Spalding <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> 0.2% full text? Yowch!
>
> Do academic libraries with full-text versions of the book on their
> shelves really want to point people to no-preview pages on Google.
> That's like a dating site with no photos of the members, and the
> profiles omit everything but their favorite potato variety.

I think that depends how you view information services to your patrons.  If
you think full text is the end-all-be-all, then I say double-yowch.  But if
you think there's more to information than full-text, then perhaps you might
think that patrons will benefit from the other information one can get via
GBS.  I've seen books that didn't have a preview or full text, but GBS offered
links to reviews, author interviews, ToCs, summaries, etc.

Bob Duncan

Robert E. Duncan
Systems Librarian
David Bishop Skillman Library