On Fri, 13 Jun 2008, Cindee Phillips wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I realize this is a bit off-topic for this list, but I'm hoping someone
> might have some advice or recommendations for me concerning Unix
> training.

[trimmed]

> I learn pretty well on my own (I figured out by myself most of the basic
> Unix stuff in respect to copying and moving files, working with vi,
> working with the crontab, etc.) but would want any course I sign up for
> to have an instructor to ask questions of.

If you like book learning, I'd suggest Unix System Administration
Handbook (ISBN 978-0130206015).

If nothing else, it's a great reference manual as you're starting out.

> Does anyone have any experience with any of these programs they'd be
> willing to share?

Sorry, can't help -- I've never been to a formal sysadmin class for OS
stuff.  (services, yes, but not OS)  My learning was mostly from the 2nd
edition of the Unix System Administration Handbook, and people to ask
questions of in the department where I worked.

As I'm guessing you're the only systems librarian, you might try to
network, and see if there are any folks in computer support roles
elsewhere that might be willing to do some mentoring or at least answer
the occassional question.  Sometimes, they'll charge for their trouble in
beer, but it's still good to have the contacts for emergency use.

-Joe