I would second the previous suggestions to install Linux. I wouldn't do
it as a dual-boot or virtual server (a la vmware), but rather get a used
pc -- we have a Discount Computer store here in Austin that has stacks
of old Dell desktops in the $50-$75 dollar range which would be fine
as a Linux machine -- colleges/universities commonly surplus such
computers. Choose a distribution (some are so easy to install nowadays
that you might not learn much!) -- perhaps Debian would be a good
choice. There are a couple books that I especially like: Michael Stutz's
"Linux Cookbook" on No Starch press, for instance. No Starch also has a
book called the "Debian System" that I'll bet is good. If you are really
brave and have some time on your hands, you might try a distribution
like Gentoo, which forces you to compile all of the software. They
happen to have superb documentation as well. Just the process of
installing the operating system is a useful execise. Other highly
regarded distributions are Ubuntu, Fedora (both easy to instal), Arch
Linux (a real hacker's distribution), and others. One of the nice things
about a dedicated machine is that you can *really* mess up (and you will
;-)) and always have the opportunity to erase the hard drive and start
over.

My all-time favorite resource/road-map for getting more unix
saavy is Eric Raymond's "How To Become a Hacker" available at
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html.

--peter keane