Thank you for documenting this. You can, though, use the
"bookmark/save this search" link unattended. Just change the xmlsearch
param to Search. If you create a few queries through the form you
should see how they're constructed.

http://www.archive.org/advancedsearch.php?q=Frankenstein&fl[]=identifier&sort[]=&sort[]=&sort[]=&rows=50&indent=yes&fmt=json&xmlsearch=Search

This is what we're doing in the IA service adaptor for the Umlaut.
Hopefully by doing it this way it won't break if the location of their
Solr changes.
http://umlaut.rubyforge.org/svn/U2/lib/service_adaptors/internet_archive.rb

Jason