As most linux distros and unix systems share a common history, many
commands are similar but have more or less options.  If you want to
experiment with linux distro's, I can recommend trying out VirtualBox
[1] , which is now distributed by sun.  It is free for non-comercial
use (teaching yourself sounds non commercial to me), and gives you a
chance to try installing several operating systems without having to
worry about trashing your existing (host) system.

In terms of the absolute basics for moving round the system and seeing
what is going on, I would recommend the following commands

bash - use a bash shell which has handy command history and command
completion with the tab key
cd - change directory
ls - list the contents of a direcory
vi - to read, create and edit files.
less - view even very big files easily, and uses standard vi commands
to navigate

The easiest way to learn is through doing, playing and making
mistakes. - and being forced to learn because you HAVE to do something
is a great catalyst to knew knowledge. :)

Tim
informationtakesover.co.uk
colourphon.co.uk

[1] http://www.virtualbox.org/