Trying to port my Linux experience to Solaris 10 makes my brain bleed
some days.  I'd recommend, and this is probably too onerous for the
original poster, installing OpenSolaris in a virtual machine if the
installation route seems viable.  The differences between Solaris (or
#@$%@# Solaris!, as we affectionately call it) and Linux are pretty
great.  However, installing a distro inside VirtualBox is probably a
little more advanced than the OP may be prepared for.

Jim

--
Jim Tuttle

NCSU Libraries, Box 7111