Andrew,
I'm not sure this is the same thing that you were told about, but what
I discovered for IA after Jonathan sent out his message is here:
http://www.archive.org/advancedsearch.php#col2

It is just a redirect to a search of a Solr index so it ought to be
easy for you to see what's going on. Do note that the address of the
Solr may change, so you'll want to use the bookmark link. You'll see
that changing the xmlsearch param from bookmark to Search bypasses the
bookmark page.

Using this you can find all collection identifiers and names as Alexis
points out.

Jason