You get the "invalid indicator" message with the FMT tag because ALEPH uses
it as a control field, with no subfields or indicators and  MARC::Record is
treating it as a variable field (it's making the assumption that unless a
tag is a control tag, ie < 010, a field should have indicators and
subfields).

You can avoid the issue of alpha tags by setting an option in the program
that exports MARC records from ALEPH (p_print_03), telling it to exclude
alpha tags.

Tim Prettyman
LIT/University of Michigan Library