I would add to absolute must-know commands:

pwd - This will tell you what directory you are currently in. This is
particularly handy if, like in many un*x systems, the path in not
automatically printed at the prompt. Often times users will configure
their shells to do this, as this is something that they are used to
using the DOS / Windows command line, but it can be cumbersome as un*x
paths can get very long, as can commands with complex arguments.

which - This will tell you where the binary file that a command is
executing lives. If you are administering a machine, this information
can be vital.

ln - Creates "links" to files, similar to shortcuts in Windows.

tar -zxvf - The tar command with all the flags needed to decompress a
tar.gz file.

ps - list running processes.

And, most importantly,

man - Manual pages.