On Wed, 2008-06-25 at 12:56 -0400, Birkin James Diana wrote:
> On Jun 25, 2008, at 8:59 AM, Eric Lease Morgan wrote:
>
> > Is there anyway to support SSH tunneling through a MySQL DSN?

I haven't used these, but see if they do what you need.
http://www.webyog.com/en/index.php

> Not sure if this is exactly relevant, but I used to need to access a
> remote mysql database not open to internet access, and came to love
> ssh tunneling. Some notes:
>
> <http://bspace.us/notes/entries/ssh-tunneling-notes/>
>
> Also, for a different reason, I needed to handle passwordless logins.
> This might be of some use:
>
> <http://bspace.us/notes/entries/passwordless-logins/>

These are great howtos Birkin - the usefulness and reliability of SSH
far outweighs the pain in getting it setup.  I use it for many things
now, you can see my shortened passwordless login method here:
http://fak3r.com/2006/08/10/howto-passwordless-ssh-logins/

and a general tunneling howto here:
http://fak3r.com/2007/04/16/howto-ssh-tunneling-for-fun-and-profit/

I use port forwarding to allow SSH from a box inside a firewall to go
out via an open port (I use the AIM port of 5190 often), connect to my
remote box, and then use Autossh (http://www.harding.motd.ca/autossh/) -
to  monitor the ssh tunnels, and restart them if they go down.  That's
it, I now have all the abilities from the remote box that I do when I'm
inside the firewall.  Then just lock down sshd and change those
passwords regularly.

SSH tunneling maintained by Autossh, beauty.

> ---
> Birkin James Diana
> Programmer, Integrated Technology Services
> Brown University Library
Open Source Development
Missouri Botanical Garden  |  Lat: 38.6112700  |  Lon: -90.2583440
Email: phildotcryeratmobotdotorg | IM GoogleTalk/Skype: phil.cryer