Now that the DLF technical recommendation is officially published [1], DLF
is trying to help maintain momentum and build a community of implementation
around this project. Toward that end, an ILS-DI Developers' Workshop has
been organized in August for folks to hash out questions and answers about
implementing the first level of the recommendation, Basic Discovery
Interfaces. While this meeting is invitation only to keep the size down,
feel free to let me know if you are involved in this type of implementation
and think you could contribute to this meeting.

Of course, a summary of the outcome of the meeting will be made available in
its aftermath. It is even possible there may be some suggested revisions or
clarifications to the recommendation as we actually begin to write code.

I've included the text of the original inviitation below for all to see. We
hope to keep this topic of APIs and interoperability for our integrated
library systems fresh on your mind, especially as some many of you are
building these types of APIs literally as we speak....

-emily lynema

[1] http://diglib.org/architectures/ilsdi/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Greetings -

As you may know, the Digital Library Federation has released
the technical recommendation of its ILS Discovery Interface
(ILS-DI) Task Group.  This document recommends basic, standard
interfaces -- known as the Berkeley Accord -- for integrating
the data and services of integrated library systems (ILS) with
new applications supporting user discovery.  The documentation
is available at : http://diglib.org/architectures/ilsdi/ .

The basic discovery interfaces permit libraries to deploy new
discovery services to meet ever-growing user expectations in
the Web 2.0 era, take full advantage of advanced ILS data
management and services, and encourage a strong, innovative
community and marketplace in next-generation library management
and discovery applications.

DLF is planning a developer's workshop for Thursday, August 7,
at the Berkeley Faculty Club on the UC Berkeley campus, in
which parties supporting the Basic Discovery Interfaces can
learn more about the interfaces and how they should be
implemented, meet with potential development partners, and
begin the formation of a community building effective software
services.  Because of the nature of this meeting, we recommend
that staff with a high degree of technical knowledge of your
platform and bibliographic standards and protocols receive
priority for attendance.

The Berkeley Accord and the DLF ILS-DI recommendation are
important first steps in building advanced, interoperable
architectures for bibliographic discovery and use in the
networked world.