I did not have stellar results experimenting with a similar approach to
Eric's.  The crawler we use is from Thunderstone, and it does a fine job
of indexing web content with very nice relevancy ranking and "did you
mean" spell-check.  What I found when trying to let it loose against
multiple servers is, when it hits our OPAC, it sees several different
formats per record and ends up more than triple-indexing each title.  It
does have a lot of flexibility in the indexing options, though, so I
could try it again and set it to ignore URL patterns that refer to the
MARC display, etc.  Still, the total cost to index a couple million
pages (which would be needed in order to include all the records in the
OPAC plus the website pages plus the Syndetics added content) is a bit
of a steep one-time outlay.  I'm sure there's some other way to go about
this with Thunderstone's TEXIS rather than using their Webinator
product, but then you have a substantially higher development effort, I
think.

Thunderstone now makes a faceted search (they call it parametric
search).  They also make search appliances at different capacity levels.
 Pricing is really pretty reasonable for what you get.
http://www.thunderstone.com/texis/site/pages/Products.html

Genny Engel
Internet Librarian
Sonoma County Library
707 545-0831 x581
www.sonomalibrary.org

>>> [log in to unmask] 07/11/08 07:36AM >>>
> In short, I think a Google Appliance is an expensive but viable
option.
Relative to other commercial products in the space, the GA or G-mini
is
actually very inexpensive.  Another option to add to Eric's list is
the
All Access Connector which adds MuseGlobal's fed search technology to
the Google appliance.  Of course, it also add $40K or more to the
total
price.
http://wire.jstirnaman.com/2008/05/23/federated-search-for-google-search-appliance/

Jason
--

Jason Stirnaman
Digital Projects Librarian/School of Medicine Support

>>> On 7/10/2008 at 10:25 PM, in message
<[log in to unmask]>, Eric Lease Morgan