On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 2:16 PM, Fernando Gomez <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Any thoughts about a convenient way of storing and (more importantly)
> indexing & retrieving MARC records using GAE's Bigtable?

GAE uses Django's object-relational model. You can define a Python
class, inherit from db.model, declare properties of your model; then
instances can be created, stored, retrieved and updated.
GAE performs automatic indexing on some fields, and you can tell it to
index on others, or using certain combinations.

Aside from the limitations imposed by the index model, the problem
then is fundamentally similar to how you index MARC data for use in
any discovery system.  Presumably, you could learn from the
experiences of the many projects that have done that - some in Python,
such as http://code.google.com/p/fac-back-opac/  (though they use
Django, they don't appear to be using its object-relational db model
for MARC records; I say this from a 2 min examination of parts of
their code; I may be wrong. PyMarc itself doesn't support it.)

 - Godmar