Notably, I think this is what Sony's hackware/spyware did some years ago (or
attempted to), amongst others, so it should be possible.

I think you probably want to pull data from the System event log though, at
which point you can defer to whatever log-consolidation or event scanner
that your systems people prefer for your platform, or perhaps you want an
intervening piece of software like "CDROM Watchdog".  Not sure what else
there is beyond that.

--Joe