On Jul 30, 2008, at 1:47 PM, Cloutman, David wrote:

> Perhaps you should put together some MySQL training materials for
> librarians. A webinar, perhaps. I'd love it if my colleagues had those
> skills. I don't think there is that much interest, but I could be
> wrong.
> There are at least 101 ways enterprise level database skills could be
> put to work in my library. I'm pretty sick of our core technical
> solutions being Excel spreadsheets and the occasional Access database.
> Blech.

Tell me about it, and besides, basic SQL is not any more difficult
than CCL. SELECT this FROM that WHERE field LIKE "%foo%"  Moreover,
IMHO, relational databases are the technological bread & butter of
librarianship these days. Blissful ignorance does the profession
little good.

--
Eric Lease Morgan
Hesburgh Libraries, University of Notre Dame