Hi Steve and Renata,

First the declaration of interest: I am the CTO of a federated search
system company. However I am not trying to suggest you should use our
(or any) federated search system (so I will, coyly, not attach a
signature to this email).

I am interested in your comments on either or both of two questions:

Use an search engine and create an aggregated database/index of all the
material from the organization, or use a federated search system to
search the repositories/catalogs/databases/etc. in real time? Did you
consider both? And why the choice you made?

Build vs. Buy? It obviously has taken Steve and his colleagues a lot of
hard work to produce a nice looking system (except for all those big
black bits on the screen!) and it obviously takes maintenance (it is
'fragile') Do you think it was/is worth it and if so why?

Peter Noerr

Of