Hi Peter,
Thanks for your input.

As far as my organisation goes we have not made any commitments yet. At
this stage we are just investigating what would be a better option for
us.
Coming form  the library background I thought it would be beneficial for
library to embed (read: market) our products and services into internal
resources via enterprise search. That may or may not be a good way to go
about it. I know that some librarians would rather have their own
federated search available on library pages that only covers aggregator
databases plus maybe a catalogue thus making that search separate to
whatever else organisation may want to cover with any other searches.

That is why I wanted to get feedback from other libraries to see if
anyone went down this road - why did they do it and is it working for
them.

Besides making this choice it would also be good to know how easy it
would be to  implement and/or utilise either a live search or a search
engine. As you said, it is obvious Steve and his team put a lots of work
in this.  Build vs. buy usually evolves around do you have sufficient
resources or not.

It would be good to hear from other libraries even if it's only to share
what kind of search they utilise, why and are they happy with it.

Regards
Renata Dyer