I talked to someone once who did this by creating a dynamic 404 error page (assuming for whatever reason you can't use mod_rewrite).  If you are familiar with an MVC design pattern, you could make your 404 error page your main application controller that directs the traffic.  The problem with this (besides being a major hack) is your web logs will be all screwy.

But as others have said, there are plenty of ways to do this.  mod_rewrite++

Andrew